During 2018 we consulted with the community, stakeholder groups and Council officers. As a direct result of the feedback we received, we have made some important changes to our proposals
Reduction in height
- The tallest building has been reduced from 18 to 16 storeys above ground – the highest section is significantly reduced in width.
- It is now the same number of storeys as the building which already has planning permission at St Catherine’s Place.
- Two of the other buildings on our development have also been reduced by one storey.
Retaining as many new homes as possible
- We have managed to minimise the reduction in the total of new homes – our original plans were for 340 new homes, and the reduction in heights has been achieved with a loss of just 11 new homes.
Breaking up building mass
- As well as reducing the height, the proposed building facing Malago Road has been redesigned so the elevations are slimmer.
- The revised proposal includes a glass staircase to split the main building and to improve views into the site.
Improved connectivity through the site
- We already proposed a welcoming and safe pedestrian route through the site but have made an important change – rather than steps we will use a shallow slope instead to make it accessible for pushchairs & wheelchairs.
Enhancements to East Street
- All public areas will have high quality, welcoming landscaping that includes pavements, seating and planting – We are now extending that onto East Street itself, rather than stopping at the edge of our site.